Filmarchives online / MIDAS(January 2006 - January 2009)
The web gateway 'filmarchives online' provides easy access to moving image collections from European film archives and was launched in February 2007. The website allows the search through a growing number of European film archives in 7 languages. 18 film archives from various European countries made parts of their holdings accessible via the web gateway.
Film works can be searched for by content, filmographic data and physical characteristics. Search results provide information on existence and location of the materials as well as contact details to facilitate access. 'filmarchives online' aims at user groups ranging from the area of scientific research to the professional media and film production domain. The database's content focusses on non-fiction material; i.e. documentary and educational films, newsreels, travelogues, commercial advertising, scientific, industrial, experimental, sports as well as animation films.
The project partners contribute extracts from their local archive databases directly to 'filmarchives online'. Each institution continously enriches, improves and supplemets its data independently. In January 2009, information on over 25.000 film works was available and the database is still growing.
'filmarchives online' is the result of the MIDAS project (Moving Image Database for Access and Re-use of European Film Collections). MIDAS ran from January 2006 through January 2009 as a pilot project in the MEDIA Plus programme of the European Commission. It was carried out by 18 institutions dedicated to collecting and preserving film heritage in Europe and coordinated by the Deutsches Filminstitut - DIF e. V.
The consortium was comprised of the following institutions:
- British Film Institute (London)
- Bundesarchiv - Filmarchiv (Berlin)
- Cinémathèque Royale de Belgique (Brussels)
- Cineteca del Comune di Bologna
- La Cineteca del Friuli
- DEFA Stiftung (Berlin)
- Deutsche Kinemathek - Museum für Film und Fernsehen (Berlin)
- Deutsches Filminstitut – DIF e. V. (Frankfurt) [Co-ordinator]
- Fondazione Cineteca Italiana (Milan)
- IWF Knowledge and Media (Göttingen)
- LICHTSPIEL-Kinemathek Bern
- Lithuanian Central State Archive (Vilnius)
- Magyar Nemzeti Filmarchívum (Budapest)
- Národní Filmový Archiv (Prague)
- Nederlands Filmmuseum (Amsterdam)
- Nasjonalbiblioteket (Oslo)
- Slovenska Kinoteka (Ljubljana)
- Tainiothiki tis Ellados (Athens)
- Reelport.com (Cologne) [associated]
Web Gateway: www.filmarchives-online.eu
Project Homepage: www.midas-film.org
Tel.: +49 (0)69 961 220 403
Fax: +49 (0)69 961 220 999
MIDAS was supported by the MEDIA Plus Programme of the European Community